10 Downing Street & Sarcoma UK Partnership 2016
The staff at the Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street, chose Sarcoma UK as their Charity of the Year, in memory of Chris Martin, Principal Private Secretary to the Prime Minister who passed away of sarcoma in November 2015.
From running in Tough Mudder to hosting a Prime Minister’s reception – they have raised over £25k. Watch our partnership film:
Speaking in the House of Commons (November 2015), David Cameron paid tribute to Chris, saying he was “someone between a father and a brother to all of us", and "one of the most loyal, hard-working, dedicated public servants I have ever come across". He also referred to Chris as his “Bernard” of Yes Prime Minister. Watch the YouTube link here:
- Held a Great British Bake-Off with guests, Paul Hollywood and Nadia Hussain
- Completed a 12-mile assault course, Tough Mudder London West, to officially launch the partnership. They showed strong mental and physical strength to navigate through the muddy obstacles, 10,000 volts of electricity, and a mind-numbing ice bath
- Held a staff summer party in aid of Sarcoma UK
- Provided volunteers from the Cabinet Office, at our Sarcoma Research Symposium, where sarcoma researchers set key research priorities over the next 10 years
- Andrea Siodmok (Policy Lab, Cabinet Office) climbed Everest Base Camp in memory of Chris
- Invited Sarcoma UK staff team to their No 10 staff meeting. Our Chief Executive presented alongside Simon Case (Principal Private Secratary to the PM)
- Ran 10km dressed as Santa Claus around Victoria Park. We've got the photo evidence here!
- Theresa May held a special winter reception at 10 Downing Street to "Transform the Landscape for Sarcoma". See our Facebook album here
- Throughout, staff at No 10 have been upskilling Sarcoma UK staff
To date, the staff at No 10 have raised over £25,000 and counting...