Palliative team | Sarcoma UK
Make a Donation

Get support

Palliative team

Your palliative care team may consist of many different healthcare professionals.

Here we explain what these professionals do and what they will support you with. You may not see all of these people during your care.

These people will make up your palliative care multidisciplinary team (MDT). Your MDT will work together to ensure they are providing the best care for you.

In some cases, information between your different teams can get lost, so it may be helpful if you or a loved one are able to give as much information as possible about your sarcoma to the palliative team. If you wish, you can obtain a copy of your medical record which you can pass on to the palliative team.


Palliative care and hospices

You might be referred to a Palliative Care team based at your local hospice. Being referred to a hospice does not only occur when someone is at the end of life, and it is not a place limited to dying. Hospices are places that have specialist multidisciplinary team to meet palliative care needs by providing a holistic approach to your care. Some hospices have home care teams where you can be seen, assessed and cared for in your home, or an outpatient care centre in addition to an inpatient unit for admission allowing a further support for symptom management and palliative care.


Your GP will look after you and help manage your medical needs. They can help to prescribe your medicine and facilitate any conversations about your needs.

District nurse

A district nurse may visit you at home to provide nursing care and support if you are unable to leave the house for treatment. They can help to provide medical care.


A pharmacist will help provide and manage your medications and make sure they are safe and effective for you.

Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)

A specialist nurse who will support you and your family with your palliative care. Your CNS may be your main point of contact about your palliative care.

Social worker

Social workers operate within the community. They provide a holistic assessment, and will take note of your physical, emotional, social, financial and spiritual needs.

Occupational therapist

An occupational therapist can aim to help you maintain your independence and manage day-to-day tasks. They may assess your living situation and help arrange any changes you may need, along with equipment such as wheelchairs or toilet frames.


A physiotherapist will aim to help you maintain your physical function, and help with any mobility problems you may be experiencing. They can also help in managing symptoms if you are experiencing breathlessness or fatigue.


A dietician can work with you to help you find ways to manage your appetite, as well as assist you with any difficulties with eating or swallowing that you may be experiencing.

Macmillan and Marie Curie nurses

Depending on your individual circumstances and where you live in the UK, you may get support from a specialist nurse such as a Macmillan or Marie Curie nurse.

Read more about specialist nurses here.

Published: May 2023 Next review due: May 2026


Popular search terms