Sarcoma UK is seeking to appoint 2-3 new trustees to join our existing Board for an initial three-year term.
We truly welcome applications from people with different backgrounds, life experiences and career paths. Sarcoma UK is committed to applying values of Diversity and Inclusion in the widest sense. This means that we’re looking for trustees with different backgrounds, careers and life-experience, competencies, professional skills and diversity of thought. We would particularly welcome applications from anyone who has had a direct experience of sarcoma, either as a patient or carer or in some other capacity.
As a trustee, you can help us in several ways:
- provide support with strategic oversight:
- relationship building with potential funders, partners, staff and the wider healthcare charity sector;
- supporting the Chief Executive and Management Team; and
- ensure strong corporate governance in line with both charity and company law.
We are looking for energetic and passionate applicants to our Board who are able to bring a range of different backgrounds, competencies and expertise to ensure we have a good balance to make sure we work to the public benefit. Essentially, we’d like to benefit from what makes you unique.
‘You get experience that it might take 30 years to get in a regular job.’
Our Sarcoma UK Board of Trustees sets the long-term vision for the charity and protects our reputation and values. By volunteering to be a trustee, you will be vital to our success.
Being a Trustee is hugely rewarding – there are a lot of benefits for both you and us. There are serious responsibilities too; our trustees accept ultimate legal responsibility for directing the work of the charity. This includes making sure it is financially solvent, well-run and is delivering its stated charitable outcomes for the benefit of our patients, their families and the wider sarcoma community.
We don’t expect all our trustees to have all, or indeed any, of the following expertise. However, if you do have any of the following specific skills, please tell us:
- Financial, HR or governance skills
- Political and/or campaigning engagement or experience
- Fundraising experience
- Media / communication / public relations/social media skills
- Knowledge of the workings of the NHS and patient services/care (this could be as a patient, family member or healthcare professional)
- Experience of working with patients, medical professionals and/or volunteers
You don’t need to have experience of charities or governance – knowledge you have gained from other sectors or roles may be just as useful, coupled with energy, enthusiasm and a desire to make a difference. We will support you in your time as a Trustee.
There has never been a more exciting time to get involved with Sarcoma UK’s work.
Please find the Trustee Recruitment Pack below for more information. If you would like to apply for the position of Trustee please send your CV, along with a brief covering letter to: email@example.com explaining your interest in Sarcoma UK and how you believe you could contribute as a trustee.
Closing date: Friday 12 May 2023
Interview: Late May
Time commitments: Approximately 4-6 half days a year