We are pleased to open applications from senior scientists and clinicians to join Sarcoma UK’s Grant Review Panel.
Sarcoma UK’s research programme has been running since 2009. So far, we’ve committed over £5 million across over 70 projects at universities and NHS institutions across the UK to better understand the causes of sarcoma, and develop kinder, more effective treatments and outcomes for patients. Ultimately, our research programme supports science that can achieve the greatest impact for people affected by sarcoma.
Sarcoma UK’s Grant Review Panel provides recommendations to Sarcoma UK for funding for individual research projects. The Panel are expected to ensure their recommendations support only the highest quality research, which has a direct benefit to people affected by sarcoma and makes effective use of charitable funds. The panel’s membership aims to represent those who are involved in the full spectrum of sarcoma and cancer research, including sarcoma specialist clinicians, academic scientists and people with a personal connection to sarcoma.
How to apply
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) and CV.
In your cover letter please include the following:
- Your reasons for applying
- Key areas of scientific or clinical expertise
- Experience of peer reviewing or assessing applications
- Any current and previous membership of scientific or clinical funding panels or committees
The deadline for applications is Monday 24 October 2022 at 12pm midday.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application within two weeks.
You can read the full role description here: Grant Review Panel Members – Role Description
Please get in touch with us at email@example.com with any questions.
About this role
To provide recommendations to Sarcoma UK’s Board of Trustees on decisions related to the funding and management of research projects in line with Sarcoma UK’s Research Strategy. This involves considering the comments of expert and lay external reviewers in making a judgement as to the quality and relevance of each grant application.
To provide advice to Sarcoma UK on funding procedures, types of award and refinement of research funding process.
- To attend Grant Review Panel meetings when necessary to consider the grant applications received by Sarcoma UK.
- To review applications and reviewers’ comments in advance of the panel meeting, and to submit written comments and scores to Sarcoma UK on assigned applications.
- To contribute to discussions at Grant Review Panel meetings to ensure that the Panel’s recommendations reflect issues of concern to researchers and people affected by sarcoma.
- In exceptional circumstances, to contribute to discussions on individual grant applications or cost-extensions outside of Grant Review Panel meetings.
- To declare all potential conflicts of interest using Sarcoma UK’s Declaration of Interest form.
- To uphold the Sarcoma UK’s Code of Conduct for grant review, specifically:
- Declaring any conflicts of interest
- Ensuring that all applications, comments and correspondence remain strictly confidential
- Ensuring that outcomes and feedback are communicated to applicants by Sarcoma UK only
Who we are looking for
We welcome applications from a broad range of new panel members across the spectrum of sarcoma and cancer research. You should be:
- A senior scientist or clinical researcher with a significant track record of conducting and leading research in sarcoma or other cancers
- Experienced in reviewing and assessing applications, and understand how funding decisions are reached
- Affiliated with a university, research institute, or NHS institution, with a good understanding of the UK medical research landscape
- Committed to improving the lives of people affected by sarcoma
We particularly welcome applications from scientists and academics with expertise in any of the following areas; genetics, molecular pathology, molecular biology, drug development, immunology, and quality of life.