Terms and Conditions for 2024 TCS New York Marathon runners
Before you submit your application to Sarcoma UK, please read these Terms and Conditions carefully and make sure you understand them. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to follow these the terms set out in this document, in exchange for a charity place in the 2024 New York Marathon.
Should you have any questions about any of the terms below, please email us email@example.com or call 020 7856 0445 and we’ll be happy to help.
Quick access to sections of the 2024 New York Marathon events policy
Event – 2024 TCS New York Marathon
Charity place – a place in the Event, offered by Sarcoma UK
You – the person submitting the application
Us – Sarcoma UK
The charity – Sarcoma UK
Race Day – 3 November 2024
Runners – participants for Sarcoma UK in 2024 New York Marathon
Your application and data
- Please note that our tour providers are not permitted to sell packages to US residents. To apply for a place in the Event, you must be a non-US resident.
- You agree that you will be 18 years of age or above, before or on the day of the Event.
- You understand that we cannot always offer places to everyone who applies and therefore places are awarded at Sarcoma UK’s discretion.
- Sarcoma UK has the right to withdraw or not offer places to anyone who applies, at any time and without giving a reason.
- You understand that we will store your details in line with data protection laws. We collect your contact details so that we can easily communicate about the Event.
- You understand that emergency contact details are collected only in the case of an emergency on Race Day, and will not be used in any other circumstances.
- If you are successful in gaining a charity place, you understand that your name and contact details will be passed onto Sports Tours International so that you can register officially for the Event.
- You understand that important Event information will be sent via email by Sarcoma UK and Sports Tours International, and that it is your responsibility to act on this information. We therefore ask that you provide us with a current email address.
- You understand we may call or email you to request further information about your application in order to help our decisions in awarding places. We therefore ask you to also provide us with your telephone number and email address.
- You understand that each charity place in the Event represents a cost to Sarcoma UK, including buying the place in the event and producing and sending fundraising materials to runners.
- You understand that your minimum sponsorship pledge is determined based on the package that you choose to book with Sports Tours International. This will be no lower than £2,500.
- As such, you agree to raise your minimum sponsorship pledge, to first cover the cost of your place to the charity and secondly ensure funds are raised to help the sarcoma community.
- You agree to have raised at least 80% of your minimum sponsorship pledge by 31st July 2024 and the remainder by 5th January 2025 (two months after the event). If the 80% of funds are not raised by the deadline, you may be liable to cover outstanding costs, or Sarcoma UK may withdraw your place in the Event.
- You agree that if you believe you will not raise your minimum sponsorship pledge, you will withdraw your application. If you have already been awarded a charity place in the Event, you agree you will let both Sarcoma UK and Sports Tours International know as soon as this situation becomes apparent.
- You agree that in order for your place to be officially accepted you must pay a £200 registration fee. Sports Tours International will contact you directly to take this payment. Once this payment has been made, Sarcoma UK will officially register you for the Event.
- You understand that if you do not reply to our offer of a place in the event within 2 weeks of the offer, your place may be withdrawn.
- If you are successful in gaining a place in the Event, you will be sent official registration details of the Event by email. You understand that it is your responsibility to register officially for the Event.
- You understand that if you fail to register officially before the deadline, your place will be forfeit.
- You agree that by registering officially for the Event, you are also signing up to Sports Tours International’s and the New York Road Runner’s terms and conditions and/or rules.
- You understand that after the registration deadline, Sarcoma UK cannot offer the place to another runner. Therefore, if you fail to complete the registration or withdraw after the deadline, Sarcoma UK will lose money.
- You agree with Sarcoma UK that the main objective of taking part in the Event is to raise funds to meet the charity’s core goals of funding sarcoma research, providing support and information, raising awareness and campaigning for people affected by sarcoma.
- As a charity place runner, you agree to raise your minimum sponsorship pledge (no less than £2,500) for Sarcoma UK. You understand that this amount is set to cover the costs incurred by Sarcoma UK in offering the place, and ensuring funds are raised for people affected by sarcoma.
- You agree to raise money solely for Sarcoma UK and no other causes, in relation to the Event.
- You agree that you will have raised 80% of your minimum sponsorship pledge before 31st July 2024. If you have not met this amount before this time, you understand your place may be at risk.
- You agree to have raised your full sponsorship pledge by 3 January 2025 (two months after the Event).
- You agree to let us know as soon as you realise you may have any problems with reaching the 80% and full sponsorship pledge deadlines. You know you can contact us by phone, email or over social media platforms.
- You understand that we will do all we can to help you with your fundraising, including providing ideas, materials, advice and putting together a fundraising plan with you.
- You understand that although Gift Aid is a valuable and greatly appreciated addition to our income, any Gift Aid claimed in relation to your fundraising for the Event will not be counted towards your minimum sponsorship pledge.
- You agree to fundraise in accordance with the Fundraising Regulator’s Code of Fundraising Practice, and understand Sarcoma UK can terminate the authority for you to fundraise for us should you act against this code, or in any other way that could bring the charity into disrepute.
- You understand that you travel to the USA at your own risk. It is your responsibility to check the passport requirements for entry, and apply and pay for a visa to enter the USA. If you are refused entry or exit, you are responsible for any additional costs incurred.
- Upon registering your Event place with Sarcoma UK and paying your £200 registration fee, you must purchase travel insurance to cover the entirety of your trip, ensuring that the policy covers your participation in the Event and the costs relating to your travel. If you do anything to void your insurance (including not declaring a medical condition) you will be solely responsible for any and all consequential additional costs. The charity will not be liable for the costs arising from any injury, illness or death suffered by you whilst travelling to or from the event, nor during the event.
- You understand the the package costs include entry to the Event, accommodation and hotel taxes only. You are responsible for the booking of and any fees associated with flights, other means of travel and additional activities to, from or during the Event.
Injury and withdrawing
- If you become injured or ill to the point where you will not be able to participate in the Event, you agree to let both Sarcoma UK and Sports Tours International know as soon as this happens.
- You understand that if you withdraw before the registration date, Sarcoma UK can award the place to someone on our waiting list.
- You understand that any funds you raise in relation to the Event before your withdrawal will be kept by Sarcoma UK as donations, unless you or your donors request otherwise within one month of your cancellation.
- You agree to inform your sponsors and donors that you have had to withdraw from the Event, and understand you must return any donations that they have given you should they request this. If these donations have been deposited with Sarcoma UK already, the donors must contact us individually to get a refund within one month of your cancellation.
- You agree that you will donate any remaining donations, not requested back by sponsors, to Sarcoma UK within one month of withdrawing.
- You understand that although Sarcoma UK may offer you first refusal of a charity place in the following year, we have the right to not do so and without giving a reason.
- You understand that you may be asked to pay your £200 registration fee again for the 2025 New York Marathon if you haven’t raised at least half of your minimum sponsorship pledge.
Health and safety
- You understand that by training for and taking part in the Event you are putting yourself at risk of injury and/or illness. You accept this risk.
- You agree that you are medically fit and well enough to take on the challenge, including the training programme. You agree that if you are in any doubt about your fitness or health at any point, you will seek advice from your doctor.
- We advise that you train for the event and prepare for your challenge. If you have not exercised for some time, you should consult your doctor for a check-up and abide by any advice given.
- You accept that although Sarcoma UK takes steps to minimise risks to participants, there are many variables that are beyond our control.
- You agree to abide by all instructions given to you by official New York Road Runner’s staff and marshals on Race Day.
- You understand that Sarcoma UK’s insurance does not cover you when participating in the Event.
- If you become ill or injured on Race Day, you understand you must seek help from the designated Event medics, who are trained for such eventualities.
- You understand that Sarcoma UK staff and volunteers will be taking videos and photos on Race Day, and that you may feature in them. These will be used for marketing purposes. You agree to let us know in advance of Race Day if you would rather not feature in any publicity.
- You will be given Sarcoma UK branded materials, including a running vest or t-shirt. You agree you will not engage in behaviour that could bring Sarcoma UK into disrepute whilst wearing or using these materials in any way e.g. offensive or aggressive behaviour or language, acting in a way that could harm others.