Events Policy for Challenge Event participants
Before you submit your application to Sarcoma UK please read these Terms and Conditions carefully and make sure you understand them. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to follow these the terms set out in this document, in exchange for a charity place in the event you are applying for.
Should you have any questions about any of the terms below, please email us email@example.com or call 020 7250 8271 and we’ll be happy to help.
Quick access to sections of the events policy
Event – The challenge event you have signed up for
Charity place – a place in the Event, offered by Sarcoma UK
You – the person submitting the application
Us – Sarcoma UK
The charity – Sarcoma UK
Race Day – the date in which the event you are applying for take places on
Runners – participants representing Sarcoma UK
Your application and data
- You agree that you will be 18 years of age or above, before or on the day of the Event.
- You understand that we cannot always offer places to everyone who applies and therefore places are awarded at Sarcoma UK’s discretion.
- Sarcoma UK has the right to withdraw or not offer places to anyone who applies, at any time and without giving a reason.
- You understand that we will store your details in line with data protection laws. We collect your contact details so that we can easily communicate about the Event.
- You understand that emergency contact details are collected only in the case of an emergency on Race Day and will not be used in any other circumstances.
- If you are successful in gaining a charity place, you understand that your name and contact details will be passed onto the Event organisers so that you can register officially for the Event.
- You understand that important Event information will be sent via email by Sarcoma UK and the Event organisers, and that it is your responsibility to act on this information. We therefore ask that you provide us with a current email address.
- You understand we may call or email you to request further information about your application in order to help our decisions in awarding places. We therefore ask you to also provide us with your telephone number and email address.
- You understand that each charity place in the Event represents a cost to Sarcoma UK, including buying the place in the event and producing and sending fundraising materials to participants.
- As such, you agree to raise a minimum which is stated on the application form, to first cover the cost of your place to the charity and secondly ensure funds are raised to help the sarcoma community.
- You agree that if you believe you will not raise the pledged amount you will withdraw your application. If you have already been awarded a charity place in the Event, you agree you will let Sarcoma UK staff know as soon as this situation becomes apparent.
- You understand that if you do not reply to our offer of a place in the event within 2 weeks of the offer, your place may be withdrawn.
- If you are successful in gaining a place in the Event, you will be sent official registration details by the Event organisers by email. You understand that it is your responsibility to register officially for the Event.
- You understand that if you fail to register officially before the deadline, your place will be forfeit.
- You agree that by registering officially for the Event, you are also signing up to the Event organiser’s terms and conditions and/or rules.
- You understand that after the registration deadline, Sarcoma UK cannot offer the place to another runner. Therefore, if you fail to complete the registration or withdraw after the deadline, Sarcoma UK will lose money.
- You agree with Sarcoma UK that the main objective of taking part in the Event is to raise funds to meet the charity’s core goals of funding sarcoma research, providing support and information, raising awareness and campaigning for people affected by sarcoma.
- As a charity place runner, you agree to raise the sponsorship pledge for Sarcoma UK. You understand that this amount is set to cover the costs incurred by Sarcoma UK in offering the place, and ensuring funds are raised for people affected by sarcoma.
- You agree to raise money solely for Sarcoma UK and no other causes, in relation to the Event.
- You agree to have raised your pledged amount by one month after the Event.
- You agree to let us know as soon as you realise you may have any problems with reaching the deadlines. You know you can contact us by phone, email or over Facebook.
- You understand that we will do all we can to help you with your fundraising, including providing ideas, materials, advice and putting together a fundraising plan with you.
- You understand that although Gift Aid is a valuable and greatly appreciated addition to our income, any Gift Aid claimed in relation to your fundraising for the Event will not be counted towards your pledge.
- You agree to fundraise in accordance with the Fundraising Regulator’s Code of Fundraising Practice, and keep within the current Government rules regarding Covid-19 And understand Sarcoma UK can terminate the authority for you to fundraise for us should you act against this code, or in any other way that could bring the charity into disrepute.
Injury and withdrawing
- If you become injured or ill to the point where you will not be able to participate in the Event, you agree to let Sarcoma UK know as soon as this happens.
- You understand that if you withdraw before the registration date, Sarcoma UK can award the place to someone on our waiting list.
- You understand that any funds you raise in relation to the Event before your withdrawal will be kept by Sarcoma UK as donations unless you or your donors request otherwise.
- You agree to inform your sponsors and donors that you have had to withdraw from the Event and understand you must return any donations that they have given you should they request this. If these donations have been deposited with Sarcoma UK already, the donors must contact us individually to get a refund.
- You agree that you will donate any remaining donations, not requested back by sponsors, to Sarcoma UK within 1 month of withdrawing.
- You understand that although Sarcoma UK may offer you first refusal of a charity place in the following year, we have the right to not do so and without giving a reason.
Health and safety
- You understand that by training for and taking part in the Event you are putting yourself at risk of injury and/or illness. You accept this risk.
- You agree that you are medically fit and well enough to take on the challenge, including the training programme. You agree that if you are in any doubt about your fitness or health at any point, you will seek advice from your doctor.
- You accept that although Sarcoma UK takes steps to minimise risks to participants, there are many variables that are beyond our control.
- You agree to abide by all instructions given to you by the Events staff and marshals on Race Day.
- You understand that Sarcoma UK’s insurance does not cover you when participating in the Event.
If you become ill or injured on Race Day, you understand you must seek help from the designated Event medics, who are trained for such eventualities
- You understand that Sarcoma UK staff and volunteers will be taking videos and photos on Race Day, and that you may feature in them. These will be used for marketing purposes. You agree to let us know in advance of Race Day if you would rather not feature in any publicity.
- You will be given Sarcoma UK branded materials, including running vests and/or T-shirts. You agree you will not engage in behaviour that could bring Sarcoma UK into disrepute whilst wearing or using these materials in any way e.g. offensive or aggressive behaviour or language, acting in a way that could harm others.