“Seeking answers through research” is a core priority of Sarcoma UK's 2014-2020 Strategy, Transforming the landscape for sarcoma. We want to maximise the impact of our own research programme, and to play a significant role in influencing the national sarcoma research agenda.
We will have:
- Invested over £3 million in research by 2020, adding value to the national programme of sarcoma research.
- Monitored and communicated the results of our research investment widely to stakeholders, improving the understanding of sarcoma.
- Lobbied for the total amount invested nationally in sarcoma research to be significantly increased so that new treatments can be quickly and consistently available for sarcoma patients.
- Brought together researchers, clinicians, industry, government, charities and other stakeholders to identify the priorities for research.
- Encouraged and supported patients to play an active role in research. Between 2009 and 2018, Sarcoma UK has supported 49 projects and invested over £2.6 million into our research programme.
The Research Strategy 2016-2020 will run from January 2016 to 2020. During this period we will:
- Increase our funding year on year investing £3 million into sarcoma research.
- Run an annual research grant round which will include The Roger Wilson Research Award with a tailored theme set by our Research Advisory Committee.
- Support projects which develop ideas to further sarcoma research and drive innovation.
- Actively disseminate our research activities and outputs to maximise the impact arising from investment in the research programme.
- Proactively work with the clinical, research and academic community in sarcoma and related subjects to target research objectives to further sarcoma research.
- Establish a Patients Research Group to support relevant research funding. We will facilitate patients working alongside researchers to build knowledge of patients’ research priorities.
We have identified three key components which will be continuous in our research programme for the duration of our strategy.
1) Patient Focused Research - All research funded by Sarcoma UK will focus on the improvement of quality of care for patients with sarcoma through delivery of more accurate diagnoses, improved treatment and a higher quality of life.
2) Supporting Projects and People – We will support research projects and people undertaking research.
3) Pump-Priming Projects – Our aim is to pump prime research to support the development of ideas leading to further research funding.