Tips and advice for organising your very own Big Picnic
Plan your event
- Pick a location. There are so many options. You could hold your picnic in a local park, at your workplace, in your garden, indoors or at a local club or community space.
- Plan what to serve at your picnic. You might want to prepare your own picnic snacks, buy ready-made goodies or hold a potluck picnic.
- Bring along your balloons and banners, and don’t forget to print out some bunting and cake decoration on our website
- Make sure you have enough blankets, plates, cups and cutlery
- Let us know when you plan to hold your event: email@example.com
Invite your guests
- Invite your friends, family, colleagues and neighbours
- Send round an email invitation
- Spread the word through social media
- Make flyers and advertise in local businesses or on your office noticeboard
Ask for donations
Ask your picnic guests to make a donation. You might want to suggest a donation of £5 or set your own amount. Don’t forget to have your donation box handy.
Take the hassle out of collecting cash on the day by setting up an online giving page, so guests can donate before and after you’ve had your picnic. Visit justgiving.com/sarcomauk and click Fundraise for us to get started. Add photos and a fundraising target and you can almost double the amount you raise.
You can also set up a text code through JustGiving so your guests can make a donation simply by sending a text, handy for those who want an extra sandwich but have spent all their change!
Why not try some of these ideas to add fun to your picnic and give your fundraising a boost:
- Bake sale. Sell your delicious bakes to your hungry picnic guests.
- Jelly bean jar. Hold a classic ‘Guess how many beans in the jar’ competition.
- Raffle. Raffle of some bakes, or ask local businesses to donate prizes.
- Face painting corner. The kids will love it!
- Prosecco picnic. Add some glamour to your event! Who could resist a glass of bubbly for an extra donation?
How did it go?
- Tell your story to your local media - download our press release template
- We’d love to see how your picnic went, so do send in your photos by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or share on social media using #TheBigPicnic
- Thank all your supporters!
Pay in your donations
Paying in your donations is easy. Simply add up all the donations you’ve received and
- send in cheque form to: Sarcoma UK, 49-51 East Road, London N1 6AH or
- donate online: sarcoma.org.uk/get-involved/donate
Do include a note or reference so we know the donation is from you.
What else is happening this Sarcoma Awareness Week?
Join the Sarcoma UK Support Line team on Facebook Live, or get involved by helping people understand what sarcoma is. We've also got a t-shirt design competition for all budding artists and you can change your profile pics to really amplify awareness. There is something for everybody.